Botafoc lighthouse

Share the joy
  • 40
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Ibiza’s headlights have been adapted to much more modern lighting and control systems, however, its peculiar structures and buildings remain standing as they were erected, presiding over some of the most beautiful spots on the island. During your stay at Hard Rock Hotel Ibiza, be sure to discover also this side of the island.

Today we’ll talk about The botafoch Lighthouse located in Ibiza Town .The Botafoc lighthouse was designed by Emili Pou. The building contract was adjudicated to Andrés Roses and work began on 18th October 1859. The lighthouse was finished on November 30, 1861 along with the lighthouses at La Mola, Capdepera and Els Penjats. Some writers claim that fires were lit at the summit of the islet in ancient times to guide sailors and in fact “Botafoc” means “fire coming out” which would seem to confirm this theory. One of the greatest peculiarities of Beacon of is Botafoc is that he was one of the first to distribute the house of the lighthouse keepers on two floors.In 1910 the original octagonal lantern with flat panes was replaced by a new lantern with curved glass and vertical fittings.

 

In 1913 the height of the tower was raised. It was one of the first lights to be be converted to electricity along with the lighthouses at la Creu , Cap Gros, Ciutadella, Maó and Portopí, all of them electrified in 1918. When the lighthouse was first built it was situated on a small island and a lighter service was provided for the transport of the keepers and supplies until a causeway was built. During the Spanish Civil War, the bombing of a German warship, anchored in the vicinity of the lighthouse caused slight damage to the building. The light pattern includes a red sector to signal the islets of Malvins and S’Esponja.

Address

Carrer Botafoch, 9, 07800 Eivissa, Illes Balears

Leave a reply

Comments Off on Botafoc lighthouse

Comments are closed.